litter this spring

litter this spring
curious little things

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spinning

this is store bought sheep wool that has been dyed.This is what i am practicing on.
I had my first lesson this past Sunday with Sharon.She lives just down the road from me and has a fiber farm with Icelandic sheep.Starting with sheep wool is recommended because angora is so fine it is not as easy to learn on.I am learning on a drop spindle,a spinning wheel is much more complicated and expensive for beginners.The idea of spinning with a drop spindle is easy I think but getting the wool to come out all uniform like the yarn you see in stores seems impossible to me now.This is where lots of practice will come in.
In return for the drop spindle and lessons,I gave Sharon The 10 week old bunny,Ashley. Her name is now princess Anastasia and I can visit her whenever I want.I am not that upset since I know she has a good home and will be used for fiber,but Genevieve on the other hand is down right devastated.I promised her pick of the litter,even though this litter I was going to use all b names,her bunny will be named Ashley again.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to learn spinning. Do you think she'd teach me too? Are you going to sell your bunny yarn?

    ReplyDelete