litter this spring

litter this spring
curious little things

Monday, February 21, 2011

A hiccup for my angora farm

The hiccup being I don't have angoras! They may be an angora cross though but either way I can't start a business raising mutts. I started doubting myself when Arthur's wool was not growing any longer. I started doing a liitle research on genetics and I learned a little bit more on the breed standard for French angoras. I emailed a nice lady from spang angora in new York. I sent her some pics and she told me they were not purebred angora and may be crossed with jersey wooley. The weight standard for French angora is 8-10 lbs and when I weighed my rabbits they were only 5.5 and 5 lbs. This was and still is very upsetting. I have bonded with these guys and their litter and a part of me doesn't want to sell them. What I want is purebred french angoras and I don't have money or space to keep these guys and what I really want. I don't know what I was thinking just taking a person's word on their breed.I now have some real cute PET bunnies not fiber animals for sale.
I will be purchasing a breeding pair of purebred French angoras in the future. I will pay good money for them but they will be the real deal.I also am looking into becoming a member of the ARBA, the American rabbit breeders association. I will go into more details at a later time and I also will be updating you on my bunnies progress soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment